Wednesday, August 19, 2015

#95 - Invisibility and Chain Lightning

Excerpt from the Personal Chronicles of Aleae Dyo'ionah Tiamah D'maii Dwin' Eytherarnith


The magic that encapsulated the wizard would not last much longer. My pulse raced, my mind spun. Did we make a mistake? Was the wizard now at an advantage? Not only did he have time to prepare a host of protective spells and spells to strike, but we had given him the opportunity to study us, our interactions, our combat styles.

The previous fight left me exhausted and drained. Lukar was in possession of magic greater than mine, of that I was certain. I would have to outsmart him if I was to survive this battle.

In the mere seconds before the wizard was free, I grasped Simel’s shoulder, imparting a bit of protection onto us. “No one can see you now. Good luck, my friend,” I whispered as our bodies vanished from sight.

As I ran underneath the sphere, its existence faded, leaving our enchanted enemy floating freely thirty feet above the group who waited in vain to grapple him upon his anticipated landing. The Wand burned against my chest, aching to be used. I did what it asked; pointed it at my hovering adversary and hoped for the best.

Colors as beautiful and bright as the first day of Nost-na-Lothion sprung forth from its tip and wove through the air around me. The chroma easily had the ability to overwhelm those who were not accustomed to such brilliance. Holding my breath I arched my head back and caught a glimpse of my foe’s face and those of my peers. “Yee!” I huffed silently through clenched teeth. He was unaffected, but it seems as if Magnus was not as lucky.

Moving with exceptional, magical speed, Lukar lowered himself to the ground and darted towards the blackness. He started to mumble. Words I knew dearly rang through my ears; he was trying to make himself invisible! Uttering softly while intricately dancing my hands across the air, I focused on my adversary. I will not let you get away! I thought with an intensity so great I imagined my friends could feel the sentiment. As the spell fizzled–his form blinking in and out–the quizzical look on his face was quickly replaced by one of fury. My confidence boosted.
In retaliation, the wizard tossed two bright gemstones to the ground nearby. They hit the floor, making a light tinkling sound as they rolled and finally settled nearest to Clarion.

Both Clarion and Magus struggled to grasp hold of the wizard. Even Magnus, who looked different–bigger, bolder, dare I say, even dragon-like–found his maneuvers easily eluded by the wizard’s powers. Our frustration turned to distress as the gemstones he'd thrown cracked open. Tilting our heads upward, we gaped at towering water and earth elementals which had sprung up in their place. Within seconds, they attacked; the earth pummeled Magnus while the water flowed through a transient Cypher (who seemingly step out of the darkness, why was Cypher’s form not solid?).

Although I hated to do so, I had to stop the elementals from future assault. There was too much at stake. A stream of frost-blue energy exploded from my fingertips immediately, freezing the water elemental upon impact. I turned my attention to Lukar. Energy welded up within my stomach. Breathing in deeply, I brought it upward and through my lungs, letting it grow within me. When I could no longer stand the fire within my chest, I exhaled. The ball of energy flew down my arms, burst forth out of my palms, and headed straight for my adversary. He was too powerful, too well prepared. Much to my chagrin, the fierceness I hurled was absorbed by–what I deduced to be–an invisible shell that protected his person from magical damage. “Wasted!” I mumbled.

Feeling the pressure of our onslaught, Lukar promptly created three illusionary clones of himself. Clarion and Magnus rushed to do what they do best–pummel using weapons and fists. Magnus was able to take down one of the clones, but not before succumbing to another of the earth elemental’s vicious attacks. An arrow shot from an invisible Simel whizzed by and struck another clone out of existence. Knowing my magic would get me no where with that shell in place, I snatched my longbow from my back and easily extinguished the remaining clone.

Lukar looked concerned for the first time. He ran towards the elementals, away from Magnus and Clarion’s forceful blows, away from Cypher’s wavering form. But then he stopped dead in his tracks. I knew it was coming, but could not manage to find the words in time. Turning back towards the area from which he came, his brow furrowed in concentration, Lukar pointed a charged finger at a now fully-materialized Cypher. With a half grimace, half snarl, he let loose the thick blast of white lightning from his finger. They never stood a chance.

Cypher held up what looked like the wand he had muttered on about earlier.

“Fool!” I shouted in my head. “RUN!”

It was too late. The bolt of lighting passed into Cypher, then forked out again into both Clarion and Magnus. Within seconds all three of my companions were on the ground. Whether the chain lightning had left them dead or unconscious, I did not know. Smoke rose from their blackened forms.

A calmness came over me. This man has quite possibly killed my friends. I silently reflected. He is most likely aware of or partially responsible for the Mournland and the stranding of my people. I was now prepared both mentally and physically to do what must be done. He must be brought to justice no matter the price.

Quietly I watched as Lukar studied his surroundings. When he seemed satisfied that he was alone he went towards our fallen comrades. As an arrow expertly struck the wizard, I concluded that Simel must also have been feeling uneasy about Lukar’s positioning. Once again, Lukar cast clones to confuse us, but our slew of arrows swiftly eradicated them, leaving him alone and under an onslaught of Simel’s projectiles.

The vibrations under the footsteps of Simel were slight, but it was enough for the earth elemental to "see" with its body. These minute pulses were like a bright beacon to its senses and he soon was upon the invisible marksman!

Assuming his enemy was occupied, Lukar took the opportunity to do what he had first set out to do and headed towards the orrery—the "World Sphere" as Elidca had called it. There was no time. No second to reconsider. Not one moment to catch my breath or think. It had to work. Lukar must be brought to justice. I ran as fast as I could toward the edge and launched myself into the darkness, out over the edge.

As I started to fall into the abyss, I used what little energy I had remaining to cast a minor teleportation spell upon myself. Silently I landed on the floating platform next to the orrery, reaching it before he did. It hummed, great with power. Lukar was only steps away as I made my attempt. Clearing my mind as best I could, I tried to focus on our physical location within the orrery. I pictured dissolving the enclosure and freeing the captive wizards. As I pulled away from the device I felt magic sweep over me. Delicate mechanical wings sprung from my back. This was not the result for which I was aiming. Lukar came nearer but still could not see me. I stood my ground and waited to be hit.

Lukar ran into my invisible form at full speed. He immediately attempted to cast a spell, but only shapes poured forth from his lips, no sounds. The magic I felt earlier! It was a sound void! Neither of us could speak a word. There was a possibility I may still survive.

Striving to use his staff to deal a blow against my unperceivable form proved useless. Easily dodging his maladroit efforts, I thrust my Nightsong Blade into his arm. THUD! An arrow struck Lukar from the left. Simel was still alive! I waited anxiously for more aid as the clumsy fight between Lukar and I went nowhere for far too long. Simel must be near as I spotted the earth elemental approach the floating platform by awkwardly jumping and then absorbing hovering stone after hovering stone. My body started to tingle. The invisibility spell I cast earlier was about to end.

“Please be near, Simel,” I prayed.    

Behind the wizard, Simel’s form slowly came back into view. It was at that moment–while I ignorantly let my attention wander–that Lukar struck me with his staff. Magic coursed through my body endeavoring to take control of my shape. Refocusing, I was able to shake it off before it took hold.

Seconds later Lukar toppled to the ground, black smoke pouring from his gaping mouth and mortal wound. Simel had delivered the final blow with his rapier, and the blade jutted from the wizard's chest. The changeling dropped to his knees in an attempt to stabilize the wizard, evidently thinking that Lukar's death could be worse.

“I think he is possessed!” shouted Simel. It was too late. The black form took its proper shape, that of a demon of smoke, and attacked Simel. Turning its eyes to the globe, the creature that was Lukar seemed to remember its mission. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the confined wizards appeared less frantic. This gave me great hope. As the creature moved forward to engage with the orrery, I readied to attack.

There was no need. From the chasm flew three gargoyles—the ones we'd met below allied with the stone giant. They pulled with their arms, tore with their razor-sharp claws, and bit down with their barbed jaw at the shadow demon until there was nothing left of it but tarnished air. A long drawn out breath I didn’t realize I was holding escaped my pursed lips as the tension melted from my muscles.

I am hurt. I am tired. I must rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment